it is rhi to the oh here, coming at you with our latest art kick start, none other than my can't live without item... Lace!
You can get your little mitts on this handmade eclectic art journal, so remember to link us up to what you create!Salutations! My name is Jessica but the blogging and flickr world knows me as jek. I currently have two blogs out there, one about life, crafting and living creatively and the other about making arts and crafts with your children. Both of which have scrumdilly in their titles. I'm a children's book specialist and a student of Human Development and I'm a little bit manic and a little bit Doris Day. When Kara asked me to be a guest designer for the Lace prompt, I jumped on it! I have a box full of beautiful vintage lace that belonged to my grandmother. It was itching to be played with. In this box is nestled a party of lace. Pale pink, blue, minty green, yellow...all sorts of colors and widths. I have been meaning to do something with it but always pushed it aside until now. What was I going to do?

I woke up one morning and stood in my tiny kitchen with a cup of tea wondering what I could do that would be pretty and inspiring. I would look from the open box of lace to the dull gray sky outside and sigh. Our lovely Los Angeles weather had finally turned somewhat wintery on us. The lack of blue and color was dismal and if you know me, you know i am a bit of a color fiend. As I took another sip of my green anji tea, I had an idea, or at least an idea of an idea. Why not take care of two things at once? I am nothing if not a manic multi-tasker. I would create a pretty science project using tea and lace. It would start out as a bit of prettiness on my kitchen shelf and hopefully, it would turn into something else. So I brewed three new cups of tea. A darjeeling, a chamomile and another green anji. I popped the tiny glasses of tea on my tiny kitchen shelf and dropped a snippet of lace into each one. As the tea brewed, so would the lace and in the end, I would have some tea-dyed prettiness to play with. I then spied a bit of left over coffee and dropped a bit of lace into that as well. For the next four days, the tea cups of lace acted as a mood lifter for gray skies. So pretty.
Finally, I took out the small pieces to dry and wondered, wondered, wondered what I could do with them. After many trials and errors, I was left with only itty bitty scraps and in desperation I had it! Documentation. Out came four metal ringed key tags, the mod podge, scissors, a sharpie. a scrap of wood and four tiny nails. So here you go, an itty bitty portrait of tea colored lace, labeled, hung and documented for future art endeavors. Enjoy!
Thank you Jek, you never fail to inspire :)




Dani's whimsical creation makes my heart happy :)
The other girls will be adding their projects shortly, when they find their way out of the mounds of lace they are currently stuck under.

27 comments:
Lovely! I ♥ Jek--she always has the coolest, most colorful photos...and her headboard is my favorite out there in cyberspace.
I am not a lacy type girl, but I am going to have to come up with something for this challenge! xoS
so i was wondering something about your awesome little blog here... you guys never post the winners of you challenges. how does it work? i'd really love to see who wins. :D
just wondering.
this looks like a fun challenge too!!
i was wondering that too shaina. oh and when is the deadline?
but this sounds like a fun challenge. a friend gave me a box full of lace that she didnt want anymore, and ive only used a bit. this is just the challenge i need to make me use it!
shania and chelle, i am pretty certain the winners are messaged privately :)
it is not so much "winner" as "person chosen randomly", because it would be impossible to judge between all the beautiful art that is submitted :)
oh, and i think the deadline is march 2nd.
but i hope someone else will clarify that!
Time to stop lurking and join in I think. Coincidentally I have had 2 dreams lately where I had to make something with lace that shouldn't be made with lace in real life, only 3/4 through the dream giving up and making it with the proper material. Lace it is at last!
cool prompt. Thanks! Love the projects, and especially the textile mini filled with canva pages...Gorgeous!
Lace Rocks!
this journal is gorgeous! I love using lace too, I'd really try this challenge!!
Lovely challenge! I altered a notebook cover and you can see it in my blog:
http://theinspiredme.wordpress.com/2009/02/20/lace-glorious-lace/
or my flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/janet_hu/sets/72157614134349626/
And I've already uploaded 2 pictures to the group gallery. My first time playing along here. (:
Here's mine: http://flickr.com/photos/nabview/3294552697/ No reason why boy layouts can't be lacy too ...
oooh, you ladies are just too dang creative! love it.
here's my layout using lace:
http://www.scrapinstyletv.com/portfolio/view_layout.php?layout_id=157286
My first time playing along! Thank you for the inspiration! I have been mojo-less for awhile!
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1390186&l=65dc0&id=770983966
heres my lace:
http://creatingchelle.blogspot.com/2009/02/hummingbird-lace.html
Love this prompt and thanks for the explanation on "winning". I was wondering about that. I tried to submit my layout just above and it didn't work so I'll attempt it again. Love all the DT projects and all of the submissions.
http://www.scrapinstyletv.com/portfolio/view_layout.php?layout_id=157394&gallery_type=main
Here's mine! ;P
http://flickr.com/photos/22567929@N02/3260561147/in/set-72157613479491986/
my take is here:(yes! i've finally been doing one prompt :))
http://www.scrapinstyletv.com/portfolio/view_layout.php?layout_id=157790&gallery_type=main
Thanks girls!
Here's my lacey little creation! This was fun. i actually made a wall-hanging for my sister at college. :]]]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keread/3306034874/
http://livingthecreativeteenlife.blogspot.com/2009/02/life-story-class-sneaks.html
here's a sneak peek.
wow...all so different, and so fab
here is my entry
http://lauryb.blogspot.com/2009/02/art-is-found-lace.html
Oh wow! Thanks for the inspo! Here is mine...
http://www.scrapinstyletv.com/portfolio/view_layout.php?layout_id=158399&user_id=1927
I wanted to make mine something wearable and very vintage so I made a necklace. Thanks again for the inspo!
thanks for the answer on my question rhi! :) just was wondering.
and here is my page:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25478926@N02/3311550885/in/photostream/
Loved this one-so fun! Lace is yummy!
This blog is awesome, all the crafty girls are inspiring!
http://cococricketsmama.typepad.com/my_weblog/
This is my first challenge here. Thanks for the inspiration!
http://paperbackpirate.blogspot.com/2009/03/who-likes-flight-of-conchords.html
hey! i hope i am not to late to enter.. i made this last weekend and totally spaced to post it. heres the url:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kinzielynmadsen/3327995431/
thank you so much for your prompts and inspiration.. this is really one of my favorite pastimes. when a new challenge is posted it feels like christmas!
xoxo
kinzie
Post a Comment