Sunday, February 1, 2009

a penny in a fountain...

a star in the sky,
a word spoken in frustration,
or a thought written secretly.

Wishes.

This is a prompt that can be full of emotion, magic, or humor. Cara's here to share with us her wonderfully hopeful project.




Meet our guest designer:

my name is cara harjes.
i love lazy rivers, tiramisu, and hanging with my cute husband.
i dislike eating my veggies, putting away laundry, and people who are difficult to read.
i grew up in st. louis, mo but i have lived in denver, co for almost 10 years!
(if you are also from st. louis, i will ask you "where did you go to high school?")

(if you are not from st. louis, i don't care where you went to high school.)
(but we can still be friends.)
(and that concludes the parentheses portion of this bio!)

when kara asked me to play with the prompt "wishes" i was more than a little unsure of what i would end up making. "wishes" felt really dreamy and light and easy-going . . . things that don't really describe me. so it was a good challenge. one day i was driving home from the office i share with my husband. it is across the street from a treatment center for adults deal with substance abuse. i saw a very confused, disoriented looking lady wearing a sequined gown in the middle of the day crossing the street. i felt her pain all the way through the steel doors of my car. but i was also listening to a really hopeful song. something inside of me began to stir. i started thinking about what is going on in our world and what i would like to see change. the concept for this video was born immediately from that short exchange. i was also really inspired by the Wizard of Oz. to me, it embodies the whimsy and magic that all good wishes are made of! you will find several yellow brick road references here.

you can find my stories, pictures, and recipes
here, and my most recent brain child is my *BRAND NEW* blog, The Marriage Mix. it is a place for folks to find encouragement and hope in the midst of marriage - which, as it turns out, is not as easy at it seems in romantic comedies!!! (perhaps if i woke up looking like meg ryan or reese witherspoon things might be different.) (probably not.) (there i go again with those parentheses . . . )

thanks so much to the girls from The Art is Found - you are lovely and i am so happy to have the honor of playing with you this month!!!!




Cardboard Wishes from Cara Harjes on Vimeo.


The other Kara made a lovely layout with the new Hambly butterfly paper:



Fabulous Debee did a digital layout:



Here's Dani's layout:



And I (Mandi!) altered a dollar bill. ha

Ashley dedicated her *wish* to *wish*ing that Six Feet Under was still on the air...


The other girls are posting later tonight and this week, so check back!

As usual, we *wish* you would play along with us. :) A random participant will be chosen to win a *free* spot in Kara's up and coming online class! It's bound to be as fabulous as she is.

19 comments:

AlexM said...

Wow girls! Thank you so much for this prompt! Love what Cara did. Gorgeous and poetic! (the remake of Armstrong's song is so cool...) and love what you all come up with.
You all rock!

metrochic said...

cara's amazing art already had my heart, but THIS. this is breathtaking and beautiful. thank you ladies for always bringing the inspiration!

Rhi said...

amazing amazing amazing.
i can say no more than that.

Unknown said...

This is amazing. What a strong message.

Elaine said...

I just want to say how much i ADORE this challenge. It's so perfect for everything I'm going through right now. Cara's video blows my mind, too. i can't believe how powerful it is! Brilliant.

Here's the link to my project! I got it done SOOO early this time, haha. But i love it. <3

http://alifeincupcakes.blogspot.com/2009/02/wishful.html

you girls inspire me SO much. i love being a part of this challenge site each week. :]

Anonymous said...

I love that video....amazing!!!
Here's my take:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11362823@N05/3256377671/

This pic is from a few months back but I thought it was perfect....

Sara Berry said...

What a great prompt...here's mine:
http://flickr.com/photos/storykits/3259018873/
I would LOVE to get a spot in Kara's upcoming class--the peeks look AMAZING.

Gayle said...

Woo hoo! I look at this challenge site alot, but now I am finally participating! Here is my take on the prompt! http://www.flickr.com/photos/31480089@N02/3261662642/in/pool-682824@N21

Genevieve said...

Lovely work as always girlies!! I decided to go with a traditional layout, and I was inspired by Dani, who asked her husband what he wished for, so I asked mine what he wished for...here is it:
http://flickr.com/photos/25034819@N05/3263057233/
Thanks for looking!

Unknown said...

cara's art was just breath taking...all the work was just so inspiring...here is my take on it~

http://www.scrapinstyletv.com/portfolio/view_layout.php?layout_id=155387&user_id=319

Rose said...

Nothing sweeter than wishes :) here's my take: http://roseeckford.typepad.com/rose_eckford/2009/02/wishes.html

Unknown said...

here is mine!!!

http://livingthecreativeteenlife.blogspot.com/2009/02/taifwishes.html

chris a said...

Love this prompt and the DT and GD projects and layouts. I even found a perfect little vintage children's book that fit the prompt. here's my layout
http://chrisaiton.blogspot.com/2009/02/wishing-and-hoping.html

Cate said...

Such gorgeous pages, I can only hope mine followed suit!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3488/3277078443_20aa610ca6.jpg?v=1234574462

Anonymous said...

here's mine:
http://flickr.com/photos/tisdagsregn/3281656097/

Elisa P. said...

A beautifull prompt ! Here's mine http://www.scrapinstyletv.com/portfolio/view_layout.php?layout_id=156166&user_id=11276

LF said...

she seems fabulous! I love all the creations alot, the mini book with the crow is greatness. you go girls!

jess.s.

laury55 said...

love your work...I really enjoyed playing, it is my first entry for your challenge
http://lauryb.blogspot.com/2009/02/art-is-found-wishes.html

Anonymous said...

My goodness Ashley, your SFU book is amazing – it's like you read my mind!